Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Back to my roots

So I've been doing this workout program P90X for almost 6 weeks now. I'm sure you've seen the beach body infomercials with these ridiculously buff chicks who can probably bench me. My goal was to tone, just tighten up a bit. Well, all that's happened is the gain of a couple pounds. Not happy. I know, I know, everyone tells me "that's great, you're gaining muscle". Well not so much. I have muscle, don't need anymore. Just need to TONE. So week 5 of my P90X program I decided to switch it up and forget Tony Horton's schedule and make my own. I did my twice-a-day workouts but instead of all the weight training, I stuck to the cardio dvd's in the morning and at night ran on the elliptical for a 45 minute program, did the Ab dvd and my own light weight training. On Tuesday's and Thursday's I walk/jog 4.5 miles with my mom. That was great for a week, but I still felt like I needed something more, something different...and finally it occurred to me. When was I the most fit in my life? High school!

So I'm back to my roots, swimming. And I LOVE it! It totally takes me back to my teen years. I started the class last Thursday and it was at my alma mater, which made it even more nostalgic. It was so weird getting back in my not-so-flattering speedo, putting a cap and goggles on and getting into the same pool I spent 4 years of high school in. My fitness coaches were like 10 years younger than me, which was funny, but they worked me out. Drill after drill. The warm down was a 500k, which is 20 laps. I pretty much laughed out loud when she said that. Like I could swim that much without stopping, ha! I tried anyway, and surprisingly it was no biggy and I actually sprinted the last 2 laps in like a race. This week, I'm at different pools and with a new trainer. I was a little scared to train with this guy since he's a prior olympian trainer! But I'm actually really lucky. Right now the class hasn't picked up and I'm the only one so I'm getting private training from a guy who charges something like $80 per private lesson and I paid less than that for a whole month! The class is going great, he works the crap out of me but that's what I want. Gotta feel the burn to see the results! So we'll see, I'm pretty confident I'm going to get what I want from the class and so is my instructor. It feels pretty good, at almost 26, to get in the pool after not swimming for 9 years and have a professional tell you you're great and are clearly an athlete. Guess I've still got "it"! LOL

(I'll try and dig up some old high school swim pictures for some humor, stay posted...)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! That's awesome and such an intense workout!! I bet it feels great:)

    ReplyDelete